Daniel Khalife: Terror suspect who escaped from prison captured in west London

Armed police had been searching for escaped terror suspect Daniel Khalife after he escaped from Wandsworth Prison on Wednesday, by hiding underneath a food truck.

By Bethany Minelle, news reporter

A terror suspect who escaped prison has been caught after 75 hours on the run.

After several sightings of Daniel Khalife overnight, a plain-clothes police officer pulled him off a bike on a canal towpath in Greenford, west London, at 10.40am this morning.

At the moment of his arrest he was pictured on the floor in handcuffs, next to a bike, sleeping bag and Waitrose cool bag.

Khalife is now in custody in a west London police station.

Khalife was pulled off a bike and arrested on a towpath in Greenford

Khalife went missing from HMP Wandsworth on Wednesday, and had been spotted walking towards Wandsworth town centre the same day. Police had further confirmed sightings of him in Chiswick on Friday night.

Detectives had also searched Richmond Park, which is not far from the category B prison.

Metropolitan Police commander Dominic Murphy described the search for Khalife as “extremely complicated”, and said officers did well to capture the “resourceful” prisoner within 75 hours.

Mr Murphy said the public had been “integral” to the search, and more than 100 calls were made to police with information.

The officer who detained Khalife was in plain clothes and recognised the 21-year-old as he was cycling past, Mr Murphy added.

Van used in prison escape caught on CCTV

Khalife was working in the prison kitchen and was wearing a cook’s uniform when he disappeared. He is believed to have held on to straps on the truck to make his escape.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he was “very pleased” Khalife has been arrested, and praised efforts by the police and the public in finding him.

The police had offered a reward of £20,000 for information leading to his arrest, and before the weekend, Khalife’s family had urged him to “give himself up“.

More than 150 counterterrorism officers were involved in the nationwide manhunt for him, which saw UK ports and airports put on alert.

There were long queues on the M20 on Thursday after part of the motorway in Kent was closed for extra security checks at the Port of Dover.

Rishi Sunak praises capture efforts by the police and the public

Alex Chalk, the justice secretary, announced an independent inquiry into the escape on Thursday.

Khalife is a former member of the Royal Signals, who was based at Beacon Barracks in Stafford.

He was on remand awaiting trial accused of leaving fake bombs at a military base, a charge under the Terrorism Act and another under the Official Secrets Act, which alleges he committed “an act prejudicial to the safety or interests of the state”.

He was discharged from the army in May, and appeared at the Old Bailey via video link in July, denying both charges against him.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button